History lovers will enjoy the local museums found in Burnet. All museums are family-friendly with many having displays created with children in mind.
1. Historical Jail
109 S. Pierce St. (Just off the downtown Square), Burnet, TX 78611
Built in 1884, the jail housed prisoners and a sheriff’s family for much of its 100 years. Most of the family rooms and cells have been restored to reflect the years the jail was in service and home to the sheriff and his family. Only two rooms on the second floor are a bit more modern. They will be used for community meetings. Lights are designed to look like old fixtures and cast a candlelight glow. Recessed lights keep the place bright. At night, the flickering candlelights will be left on to shine out onto the courthouse square.
2. Hill Country Motorhead Motorcycle Museum
2001 W. State Hwy 29, Burnet, TX 78611
Hill Country Motorheads Museum showcases a large collection of beautifully restored and original 1960-1980’s motorcycles including Harley-Davidson, Indian, Triumph, Norton, Vincent, Cheney, Penton, AJS, Maico, Puch, Bultaco, Hodaka, Husqvarna, Montesa, Honda and other Japanese brands. The museum also includes an eclectic assortment of vintage memorabilia – so plan to spend some time to visit and walk through motorcycle nostalgia and history. Video preview
3. Fort Croghan Museum & Grounds
703 Buchanan Dr. (Hwy 29 West), Burnet, TX 78611
Run by the Burnet County Heritage Society, Fort Croghan features pioneer log cabins built in the 1800’s furnished authentically with items used during that era. Visit the working blacksmith shop, one room school house, an original stagecoach stop, syrup mill, and a rock house built in the 1850’s. There are also two original buildings from when Fort Croghan was an active frontier fort (1849-53). The museum has numerous artifacts from the Native American era to the 1900’s. Free admission. Open April-mid-October.
4. Highland Lakes Squadron Commemorative Air Force Museum
Located at the airport on 281 South
The Highland Lakes Squadron, chartered in 1992, is a branch of the Commemorative Air Force which was founded in 1957. They are a working museum, dedicated to preserving vintage WWII aircraft. They are open to the public 3 days a week. The recently remodeled museum houses artifacts as well as a “working” aircraft hangar where WWII era aircrafts are brought back to life.